All pen companies have a simple, cheap round pen. Bic has the round Stic, Staples has its… pen, and Paper:mate has its Eagle. And it’s the Eagle I’ll be looking at today.
The body of the Eagle is nothing spectacular. It’s simply a semi-transparent cylinder which tapers down slightly just after the section to a tip/refill insert that can technically be removed, but which shouldn’t be because replacing it would be as expensive as replacing the pen. The cap is a standard friction fitting affair, which covers the tip so ink doesn’t get everywhere, and has a clip that’ll keep it in your pocket for a little bit, though I wouldn’t trust it. The information printed on the side of the barrel is minimal but works.
The writing is surprisingly smooth for a ballpoint, at least for the red one I’m using. I guess they’re just getting better over the years. The ink is the same color as in the Paper:mate Write Bros pens. It’s fairly dark and unaggressive as far as reds go. And it’s waterproof almost instantly, though I wouldn’t wager on it being fade resistant. Writing comfort is minimal, as one still has to push down a considerable amount when compared to liquid or gel pens, and there is no grip other than the plastic of the barrel. But it’s still quite tolerable and causes no excess discomfort when writing.
Overall it’s a fine office pen. It works, and it’s cheap. It’s sturdy and fairly reliable. Is it great? No. But they’re fine for what they are, and virtually indistinguishable from similar Bic pens. If you lose a lot of pens, or need to get some for students or coworkers, these should do just fine.
1. If you could be anything in this world, what would you want to be?
2. How old were you when you started kindergarden?
3. How would your life change if you were named Mr. or Miss Universe?
4. Do you like to walk in the rain?
5. What would you do if you won 32 million dollars?
ANSWERS By: Austin Smith
1. Like a “thing”? I would be a mushroom in a remote part of south america and just chill. (or and eagle, that would be cool to) (perhaps a desk, a nice one that doesn’t get used)
2. I was 5 years old.
3. If that was my name more people would make fun of me. If I got the title much more of my life would be dedicated to working out, as in all of it because my body doesn’t develop muscle easily and looses it fast.
4. Yes I do enjoy walking in the rain, although I prefer a drizzle to a downpour.
5. I would spend a quarter of it frivolously, give half to my family and use the rest to start or beef up my business (depending on when I win it).